Tag Archives: GoPro Hero 2

Riding the Big Bend

13 Dec

Riding the Big Bend is the first video from The Long Scoot Down, a scooter trip taken with a group of friends in October.  Stay tuned for a detailed account about that trip and a second video, Riding the River Road.

There is usually a huge disparity between the awesome videos we see on the GoPro website and the videos put out by us regular people.   I think most of us don’t care about “looking professional,” but we do want to put together a quality video that our friends will enjoy.

To that end, Auntie Biketrash would like to discuss GoPro issues from time to time.  Although 98 percent of her readers have no interest in that subject, she cordially invites the remaining 2 percent to chime in with their own tips and tricks.

I’ll start with two of the most obvious lessons learned from Riding the Big Bend.   Aargh!

1)  Clean your GoPro housing every time you take a break!
2)  Don’t let your tether flap in the breeze behind your helmet!

Ross Maxwell

Now, if I can only come up with a vibration-free mount.  Any suggestions?

Peace on the road!

Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride Slideshow/Video

10 Oct

Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride slideshow/video is hot off the press and can be found further down the page.

To learn a little more about our ride, check out my earlier DGR write-up.

IMG_3481-20 copy

For those of you who like to read about this sort of thing. . . .

This was the first time I used my new GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and I must say I’m impressed.  Making the jump from a Hero 2 is quite a leap!  The second video clip shown facing backwards was done with the Hero 2; everything else was with the Hero 3+.  The Hero 2 does okay, but the Hero 3+ is much better.

I tried to use both cameras with one Wi-Fi remote.  It worked the night before, but not on this day.  While I don’t know what the problem was, in the future I’ll use two remotes.

Hard-mounting the GoPro to the handlebars is a vibrating mess, and my body seems to be the best shock absorber.   I’ve found that it helps to pull my shoulders up a little when the cameras are running.  I’m still experimenting with image stabilization software, but have yet to find the perfect solution.

As shown in the following picture, I put both cameras on my helmet facing in opposite directions, and it seemed to work well.  Of course, when I put the helmet on, the cameras will be at the correct angle.


Here is my slideshow/video from our DGR breakfast gathering and short ride through Austin.

Peace on the Road!

Scooter Grand Prizza

8 Dec

Last month Austin, Texas, had the honor of being the host city for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix.  News media and fans from all over the world poured into Austin and headed over to the new Circuit of the Americas state-of-the-art race track.  Most of the Downtown Warehouse District was blocked off for three days.  It’s been five years since an F1 race has been held in the USA, creating an especially exciting atmosphere.  We’re told half a billion people watched the the race.  It was a really big deal!

In honor of this major event, the The Pizza Bistro hosted its own Scooter Grand Prizza — free pizza and reserved parking for anyone showing up on a scooter.

IMG_3182 copy

John Kinnaird, owner of The Pizza Bistro, and his staff greeted us at the door.  With Vespas lined up for outdoor seating, their enthusiasm for scooters was immediately apparent.  When asked about that, he said,

I’m sure you know that scooters are the preferred method of transportation all over Italy.  There were thousands and thousands!  They were wonderful:  functional, colorful, beautiful!  As we were working on design ideas about how to ‘fuse’ Austin and Italy together, we decided that one great way to do so would be to include scooters in our restaurant floorplans.  We think that they add spirit, a dash of fun and help connect us to Italy.

As for the pizza?  Bravo!  You get to choose style, size, sauce, and toppings.   I ordered thin crust with perfectly seasoned Marinara sauce.  John said they import many of their ingredients from Italy, and it shows. Of course, there are many other items on the menu.   Great service.  I’ll be back!

I wasn’t about to let this event go by without an Austin Scooter Club ride, so I linked up some of our best hilly, curvy roads for a fast 42-mile ride through West Austin.  At least in my mind, the Grand Prizza lived up to its name!  The video speaks for itself.

GoPro fans, I used my new Hero 2 for most of the ride footage.  Right now you can pick up a Hero 2 for a good price.  With the latest firmware download, it’s an economical upgrade from the Hero.  While I haven’t made a side-by-side comparison, it does a noticeably better job of handling motion and low light.  I see a Hero 3 Black in my future. . . .

Peace on the Road!

P.S.  Joy is everywhere, Funiculi, Funicula!


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 66 other followers