So Long, Old Friend

12 Feb

I did the unthinkable. Now I need to confess, so let me come right out and say it.

I traded in Lizzie, my beloved V-Star 1300. Lizzie is the loyal friend who took me on all the adventures you see in the right sidebar. Yes, I do feel like a dirty, rotten traitor!

Here’s the thing. At 725 pounds (unloaded), she was becoming too much to handle. During the 64,000 miles we were together, not once did I drop her or even bump her into anything.  Let’s just say I ain’t gettin’ any younger and the time was coming. . . .

I was vaguely aware of all this a year ago, but refused to admit it.  A strong desire to avoid reality is the real reason I didn’t ride much in 2012.  You see, to me, she was never “just a machine.”

This is one of the last big adventure shots of Lizzie, taken in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in 2011. She’s at her best here — dependable, loaded, and raring to go with an easy turn of the key. Totally sweet ride!IMG_1997

I traded her in at Whiteside Motors, a longtime neighborhood business down the street. They treated me well and were glad to take her, even with the EFM Auto Clutch. In fact, one of the guys at Whiteside has ridden with an auto clutch and thinks they’re great.

I thought long and hard about replacing her with a smaller motorcycle and installing an auto clutch, but decided to go with a maxi scooter for a few important reasons. 1) An auto clutch is a bit pricey to have installed; 2) no clutch lever on a maxi scooter; 3) for my purposes, a maxi scooter can do everything as well as a motorcycle; 4) a maxi scooter is extremely easy and fun to ride; 5) you don’t feel engine heat on a maxi scooter; and 6) you don’t get pummeled by updraft on a maxi scooter.  The only real negative is that I hate the term “maxi scooter”!

For more information on the EFM autoclutch, I review my experiences in this series of articles.
EFM Auto Clutch — First Impressions
EFM Auto Clutch — Almost-But-Not-Quite-Final Impressions
EFM Auto Clutch — Final Review
EFM Auto Clutch — One Year Later

I’m now the owner of a pearl white 2009 Suzuki Burgman 400. (Don’t let that “400″ fool you into thinking it can’t handle highway speeds.) At 450 pounds, it feels like nuthin’ to move around. Major relief! While the change has been painful, it’s for the best.

So far my only out-of-town ride on “Pearl” was to the Hill Country Cupboard in Johnson City with my friend, Byron. Here she is with Byron’s 1992 BMW K75RT.

IMG_3253

So there you have it. I feel much better, having confessed. Now to get that Burgie set up for some long rides!

Peace on the Road!

12 Responses to “So Long, Old Friend”

1. Daphne February 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

I know it was hard to say good-bye to a friend that brought you so much joy, but a new chapter in your journey is starting now. We will be looking forward to future posts of your upcoming adventures.

• biketrash February 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Well said, Daphne! I know what you went through with Blue. Stay tuned for more adventures!

2. afish25 February 12, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

I’m selling my Kymco Grand Vista 250. Let me know if you know anyone interested in buying it. Good post.

• biketrash February 12, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks, Alex. You might want to put that on the Austin Scooter Club Facebook page.

3. Anonymous February 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Excellent post. The Bride had a Burgman 400 and I was impressed with it. I had to let the Silver Comet go with 108,000 miles for a Goldwing Trike. Getting older sux.

• biketrash February 12, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

“Anonymous” has to be Frostbite!
      It’s so good to hear from you! You know better than me that the V-Star is fantastic for cross-country touring. The important thing, though, is that we’re both still riding — no matter how old we get. Ha ha!

4. BZ February 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Ms. Trash, you go girl…you are correct my friend with the still riding. Lizzie gave you many years, miles and smiles while you had her. You will always have those memories and now you can make more with Pearl!!! All the best to you..

• biketrash February 12, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

You know, Brenda, that you’re the one who helped me make the decision to go with the V-Star. You had all the right answers to my questions on the forum. You and Kenny both gave me a lot of good advice. I’ve even shown several people Kenny’s method of standing the bike up with their leg.

5. Kathy Palmer February 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

OMG!! What a surprise! However, 450#s does sound good!! I wonder how long I will be able to ride my HD. My hands are finally good, after surgeries for 4 trigger fingers, both trigger thumbs and carpel tunnel, but the weight of the bike is the issue! We are doing a nine day Smokie Mountain ride in mid-June. I better keep up with my yoga and strength exercises until then! Would love to see you. Changed jobs and my lunches are fairly flexible. Let’s see what we can do.Kathy Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:00:57 +0000 To: kakpalmer@hotmail.com

• biketrash February 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Like you said, the weight is the issue. Great news about your hands and switching jobs (I guess?). Yes, we have a lot of catching up to do.

6. Anonymous February 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Phew, I was worried that I might be the old friend you were saying good by to! Thanks for the GREAT ride on Friday. It’s been too long, my friend. Loved it.

• biketrash February 12, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Ha ha! You’ll never get rid of me, Byron! Looking forward to our next ride.