This Other Road

31 Dec

My license to practice shorthand in Texas courts expires tonight at midnight.  I gotta tell you, it seems strange.

Actually, my career ended a few years ago because of arthritis in my left hand.  I’m used to it now, so that’s not what feels strange.  Admitting I’m “old” enough to have arthritis and, therefore, letting my license expire is what feels strange.  How and when did that happen?

I was among the first group of reporters to be tested and certified (not grandfathered) back in ’78 — when you could still find plenty of old-school judges and lawyers around the courthouse.  The profession treated me well for 31 years, and I’ll bet you can’t find one other reporter in Texas who can make the claim of being assigned to three nice and slow-talking judges!

Here is my only on-the-job “action” shot.

IMG_0792 copy

What does this have to do with riding a motorcycle?  Not a thing, yet everything.  When all is said and done, it’s merely one part of the journey to reach my destination, isn’t it?  Yes, for me it’s always about the journey.

So I wonder where this other road goes. . . .

Peace on the road!
CSR No. 364 (Exp. 12-31-12)

8 Responses to “This Other Road”

1. Wayne Napier December 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Good one!

________________________________

• biketrash December 31, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Thanks, Wayne. I’ll bet you’re listening to the same type of comments around your house today. Sandy, Cecil and I should get together for an “expiration” party!

2. Lori December 31, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Let it go and enjoy the next chapter!

As always I enjoy reading your blog.

Lori

3. Carole Turner January 3, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Hello, Linda, and happy new year from cold, snowy central Ohio, Columbus.

It would seem strange to see your license expire. It was, after all, the way you earned your living for so many years. We do take much of our identity from how we earn a living, don’t we?

I enjoy getting your posts and knowing that you are in good health and are enjoying the open road. It is a real blessing that you have good health and now the time to pursue your many interests. You worked hard all those years–it’s definitely time to play a little.

Spring of 2011 Steve and I made our second trip across the pond and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time we visited Windsor Castle–even though the queen was home, she did not invite us upstart colonists to tea. The Black Forest was amazing, the Eiffel Tower was impressive, and Switzerland–well, no photograph can do that country justice.

Mid October 2011 found us at our son’s destination wedding in Vermont. Both families had waited several years for that wedding. Four days after we arrived back home Steve had his first mini stroke. The second one occurred as we arrived at the hospital for tests. He was admitted and suffered a massive stroke which put him in a coma for the last 8 days of his life.

Life is very different for me, after sharing 41 years with a really fine man, it has been a lot of adjusting. The former newlyweds are expecting the first grand child for both families, and we all look forward to a wonderful spring because of it.

Are you doing much writing other than your online travels? (which , by the way, are quite nice.)

Please tell Cindy I said hello and asked how her writing is progressing. I still write a monthly book review for The Book Report Network and hope to get back to writing more once I’ve sold the house and relocated to an apartment.

Wishing you all the best and having fond memories of our time together in Dayton!

Carole

• biketrash January 5, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Hi, Carole! Sounds like 2012 was a difficult year with a lot of adjustments. My condolences about Steve. I remember how close you two were. I’m glad you have a grand baby on the way this spring.

I haven’t been applying myself at all to writing. It’s one of about ten things I’d like to do more, but there never seems to be enough time. How did I ever have time to do anything when I was working?

I’ll tell Cindy you asked about her. I think she still spends a fair amount of time writing. She only has one kid left in high school now. Yes, we did have a good time in Dayton, didn’t we?

Linda

4. Jim January 7, 2013 at 6:16 am #

Congratulations on reaching the point where you can ponder such things! I hope you’re enjoying it as much as I am!!!!

• biketrash January 13, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

It is a good place to be in your life, isn’t it? I’m glad you’re enjoying it!