A Ride Story at Last!

29 Jul

(To explain my lack of ride stories lately, this summer I’ve taken three 10-day cage (car) trips to Des Moines due to a family medical issue, and that’s left little time for riding.  Fortunately, the patient is doing well, and my last trip will be in August.  By the way, cages are for wimps.  It’s so easy to travel that way!)

Now for the story. . . .

This morning before daybreak, I pulled my trusted and dusty friend, Lizzie, out of the garage. . . at last.  With little wind and a clear sky, it turned out to be the perfect day for a Sunday drive.

The Texas Hill Country is surprisingly green for late July, and it reminded me of springtime in the early-morning light.  Seemed like I was the first person to go down the road towards Sandy, and I had to slow several times to avoid open-range cattle, white-tailed deer, and even a few jack rabbits.

It took several minutes to pull the camera out of the saddlebag and take the next two pictures, and not one other vehicle passed.  Nice!

Just look at that dusty, neglected windshield.  Not acceptable!

Ended up at Willow City Loop, which meanders through a unique little ecosystem with lush vegetation, desert willows, and flowing streams.  I do believe this is the most scenic road in the Texas Hill Country.  Really, you have to see it to believe it.   Saw tons of sun flowers and other wild flowers, several roadrunners (one of my favorite birds), and hundreds of butterflies.

Didn’t take any extra time to get pictures at Willow City.  I wanted to be home by 11:00, before the heat and Austin traffic had a chance to spoil the mood.  In fact, the handlebar thermometer read 90 degrees by 10:00.  (It’s always so hot out on the asphalt!)

Heading home by way of Llano, as always, I loved cruising past Enchanted Rock and seeing the pink granite “mountains” in that area.  Man, it’s been way too long!  That new gas station on the corner of SH 16 and SH 71 sure saved me the headache of driving into town.

Some rides are fun and all; but, like today, other rides — well, they filter down and settle in your heart.  Maybe it was the saturated morning colors, maybe it was reconnecting with Lizzie, or maybe it was the gentle reminder that my chosen home is here in Texas.  Maybe I simply needed a two-wheeled experience. . . at last.

Peace on the Road!

7 Responses to “A Ride Story at Last!”

1. Cindy Smith July 31, 2012 at 7:46 am #

I was in Hunt on Thursday and Friday and agree — that is such a beautiful area. We had lunch at the Brewery in Fredericksburg on the way back, I’ve never done the Willow City Loop, but now I will!

• biketrash July 31, 2012 at 11:15 am #

You have something to look forward to if you’ve never experienced the Loop! Call me for a scenic route to get there.

• Mouhssin December 5, 2012 at 12:06 am #

The fees get your license ride every day and apply for priemt take safety course turn 16 get your license ride every day and apply for priemt take safety course turn 16 get your.The dmv and love it good luck.For priemt take safety course turn 16 get your priemt take the test pay the dmv and apply for priemt take safety course turn 16 get your license ride every day and love it.

2. Lois Avitt July 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Glad you could do something that you enjoy so much….MOM

• biketrash August 1, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Thanks, mom! It was a great ride!

3. Derick August 10, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Being ‘cage’ bound isn’t all that bad…. You just need to get a comfy cage. I recommend an old Cadillac – just be sure to bring a wrench! Still I can’t wait to get my bike back together; work bench is almost done so maybe I’ll need to start my own blog soon for the resurrection of an old Suzuki.

• biketrash August 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Your Cadillac cage is best described as a Lazy-boy cage — which totally proves my point about cages being for wimps! I’ll look forward to your Suzi blog.