Capital City Rockers vs. Mods

31 Mar

My personal experience is that most of the motorcycle community tends to look down on scooters.

So when I heard that a group of motorcyclists were encouraging all types of scooters to join them for the First Annual Capital City Rockers vs. Mods rally here in Austin, I didn’t know what to expect.   I decided to give it a try and am so glad I did!

All types of motorcycles and scooters were warmly welcomed.  There was something for everyone — classic, modern, cafe racer type motorcycles and both vintage and modern scooters.   I’ve always thought the coolest bike ever is the Triumph Bonneville, so you know I appreciated the look of the cafe bikes and the riders’ laid-back attitudes.  It was a perfect venue for the easy-going scooter crowd.

This next picture is an example of the wide variety of bikes at the rally.

If the seat on this old Yammie looks uncomfortable, that’s because it’s a skateboard!

The Mods were all about style, and Charles totally dressed the part.

It took a few tries to get the video cameras set up properly on my new Sym scooter, but worked it out by Sunday’s ride.  Here is a short video/slide show of a few highlights from the rally.  As always, cutting the weekend down to a few minutes was difficult.

This beautiful 1964 Vespa GS160 belongs to Martin, a friend of mine from the Austin Scooter Club.  If that scooter looks authentic, it’s because Martin actually was a Mod from 1959 until 1965, when he married and settled down.  As a Mod, he rode a 1958 Douglas Vespa 150 Clubman.

Most of you have probably heard about the Rockers and the Mods subcultures and how they supposedly engaged in fights and started riots and created moral panic, blah, blah, during the sixties in England.  Turns out none of that’s true, but was hype manufactured and perpetuated by the news media.  Martin graciously agreed to let me record a short video about the background and real story about what went on — rather, did not go on during that time.

All the Mod hooligans and Rocker louts had a great time meeting each other, and I’m already looking forward to next year’s rally!

Peace on the Road!

7 Responses to “Capital City Rockers vs. Mods”

1. Brendan 'Wig' Kibble March 31, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Hi there cool article…
    The interview with Martin about being a Mod back in the day is great.
    Does he live in Austin ?
    Cheers
    Wig

• biketrash March 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks, Brendan. Martin lives just outside of Austin. If I can talk him into it, I’d like to do a few more videos where he talks about different aspects of being a Mod. Apparently the scooters were something like fifth or sixth on the list of Mods priorities, which is surprising.

2. Anonymous March 31, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Always enjoy your trips….MOM

• biketrash March 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Thanks, mom! I hope you were able to watch the video.

3. Anonymous April 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

When can you Scoot on up to Boston? Love,
    Fabulous Nieces and nephews

p.s. love reading all the Biketrash adventures and info!

• biketrash April 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Don’t I wish I could get up there for the New England spring! I’d love to see all the fabulous nieces and nephews!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Capital City Rockers vs Mods 2013 | Biketrash Holiday - April 12, 2013

[...] more information about the Rockers vs Mods so-called rivalry or mystique, check out my Rockers vs Mods 2012 post.  You’ll find an interesting interview with my friend, Martin, who was a real-life Mod [...]