For a Few Scooters More

3 Oct

This weekend Desha and I attended the second annual Riff Raff Austin scooter rally, For a Few Scooters More, which draws its inspiration from the Clint Eastwood spaghetti-westerns.  This rally had a completely different feel from Scootin’ the Ozarks  in that most of the scooters were what I call “little” as opposed to “maxi” long-distance scooters.

The fun kicked off Friday afternoon at Urban Moto with registration, grilled hamburgers, socializing, and an evening excursion through downtown Austin.  You can imagine what it was like to have 75 scooters drive by hundreds of people who had lined the Congress Bridge to watch the largest urban bat colony in North America emerge for their nightly feeding.  There were lots of smiles and waving as we passed, because everyone loves the little scooters!

After a continental breakfast at Vespa Austin on Saturday, we set off on a well planned route with postcard-perfect weather to historic Lockhart, proclaimed by the Texas Legislature to be the barbecue capital of Texas.  We parked on the main square in front of the beautiful Caldwell County Courthouse, and everyone had their choice of three excellent bbq restaurants within walking distance.  Along with several others, I chose Black’s.  Mmmmm good!

By the way, back in the late seventies, I covered court in this courthouse.  With the courtroom acoustics, or lack thereof, it was hard to hear someone sitting only ten feet away because of the echo.  That experience was a real-life court-reporter nightmare and still makes my insides flinch!

Before we returned to Austin, there was plenty of time to socialize, visit some historic buildings, and relax under a cloudless fall sky.  I even saw some curious Harley guys walking along the row of parked scooters while checking them out!

Sunday morning we met up at Izzoz Tacos for breakfast and more socializing.  It always seems on Day Three of any rally, workshop, whatever, people start to feel comfortable and open up with each other, and this group was no exception.  Like the sign says, you could look around and see many Facebook friends being made and e-mail addresses being exchanged.

From Izzoz we headed over to TJ’s Cycle in North Austin for a gymkhana, raffle, and awards.  (Here “gymkhana” basically means performing tight maneuvers, driving over obstacles, and completing a task while moving, all without putting down a foot.)  Desha was one of only three women brave enough to tackle the gymkhana, and she did extremely well!   As always, the gymkhana was loads of fun and there will be some entertaining clips in the video that will be put together in a few weeks.

The rally concluded with awards and a generous raffle, with the grand prize being a running vintage Vespa 90.   Here is the lucky winner, with matching red hair and accessories!

But the best part of the weekend was when Jane, my spray-can-painted Vino 125, won the Best Modern Scooter award.  It’s even more special because my friends, Eric and Jean, made the trophy themselves.  The recognition makes it worthwhile to have spent all those hours turning her into a beautiful, special, and unique scooter.  How great is that?

The next photo shows Jane and her ecstatic caretaker.  Exactly what was done to make her unlike any other Vino will be the subject of another blog posting.  (Did all the work myself, except for recovering the seat and back rest.)

Everyone agreed that this was a fantastic, fun-filled weekend in every way.  So I wonder what else I can do to Jane before next October. . . .  Hmmmmmm. . . .

Peace on the Road!

P.S.  Motorcycle trip to East Texas next weekend!  This is ridin’ weather!

8 Responses to “For a Few Scooters More”

1. FrostBite October 3, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

Cool. Beautiful scoot.

• biketrash October 4, 2010 at 8:04 am #

Thanks, FB! Does the fender ornament look familiar?

2. Lynda October 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

Ha, David was right. He thought he saw you guys in Lockhart on Saturday. We were returning from BBQ in Luling as you were turning into a gas station. The rally looks like great fun. What a perfect weekend for it. Congrats on the prize.

• biketrash October 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

Thanks! Yes, it was great fun! Desha and I went to the gas station about 1:30, so if that’s when you came through, it was us! Several others also gassed up there at different times.

3. Jerry January 24, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

I love the Vino125 “Jane”. I have been trying to come up with something that looks good, and your use of a more classic style color, in combination with the strips on the front fairing to hide those annoying vino ridges…I love it. I also love how you went with the grey on the floor. Please post your process, what paint you used, etc. I think I may follow you lead and paint mine a vintage light green. Inlke the old 50’s light blue, but being a guy, I’m not sure how it would look for me. I do have a thought for your next upgrade… It’s what I plan on doing. I saw it on the Internet. I’ll see if I can send it to you somehow: it’s a vespa front rack modified to fit “bolt” onto the front of the vino. Congrats on the award! – jerry

• biketrash January 25, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Thanks, Jerry! That baby blue doesn’t exactly cry out tough-guy, does it? I also love the portofino green and seriously considered that color, but the blue edged it out. There have been a few requests for a post about what all was done, so I guess I’ll have to start working on it.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. For a Few Scooters More Lockhart Ride Video « Biketrash Holiday - October 23, 2010

[...] Read the full story at For a Few Scooters More. [...]

2. For a Few Scooters More Gymkhana Video « Biketrash Holiday - November 3, 2010

[...] a gymkhana, you ask?  For a quick explanation, read all about it in the For a Few Scooters More rally [...]