Test Ride

12 Aug

Yesterday I went for a short ride to enjoy the beginning-to-fade-green landscape and test a helmet mount for my GoPro video camera.   I say “short ride” because right now it’s way too hot to stay out past noon without wilting.  Did a simple out-and-back on the ole standby ride, Hamilton Pool Road and Old Spicewood Road.  It’s nice to know there are still places like this close to Austin, although we’re losing most of the open range to fences.

There isn’t much to talk about since the ride only lasted a few hours.  However, there was one exciting moment.  Rounding a curve, Lizzie’s front wheel came dangerously close to hitting a long, dark rat snake that was stretched across the road sunning itself, but it slithered off in the nick of time.  Watch out, rats!

Here is a prickly pear cactus that’s about to bloom on meandering Old Spicewood Road.  Remind me to get out there next week to check on those blooms!  Sounds like a good reason for a ride, don’t you think?

This shows the new helmet-mount setup for the GoPro.   It’s a bit odd having it up there where I don’t know what’s going on, and you can see where I’ve zip-tied the casing shut and attached a tether — just in case.  Having to feel around through a glove to work the controls is actually easier than I thought it would be.

Here are a few excerpts from the ride.  The first low-water crossing is the Pedernales (“Per-den-al-es”) River, which is obviously suffering from the lack of rain.  You can see this is taken west of Austin at the edge of the Hill Country, as opposed to the flat blackland prairie to the east, shown in last week’s scooter ride.  This setup gives the camera a soft human-sized cushion for absorbing vibration, and you can see that cushion did a pretty good job of keeping it smooth even while crossing a cattle guard!  (If you have trouble playing the video, click on “HD” on the bottom bar to turn off high definition.)

Test Ride Video

I’m sorry to say that’s the best I’ve got for you right now, which isn’t much.  This month might be a little short on content thanks to the heat, but just you wait ’til the middle of September!

Peace on the Road!

P.S.  Hot off the press. . . New England Part Two in the right sidebar!

14 Responses to “Test Ride”

1. Lori August 12, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

If u ever want company on these random rides let me know

2. Cam August 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

Linda, is that right? Our e-mail address has changed because we very recently moved to Pflugerville to be near Zan and Cecil (two short blocks). Zan is our daughter and has been forwarding your blog to us and we do want to be put back on your mailing list. This new camera is really great and such a smooth ride. We do enjoy your postings or blogs or whatever you call them so much. Thank you.

Cam

• biketrash August 13, 2010 at 10:52 am #

I’m glad you like the blog. The video is turning out to be a lot of fun.

I’ll e-mail you about straightening out your new address.

3. Toby August 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm #

Hi Linda!!!! This is SO AWESOME! The BLONDE and I are diggin’ your stuff. Stay safe and see us soon…Smiles, peace and Light to you!!

• biketrash August 13, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Ha ha! Glad you like it, Toby! Oh, yeah, and that blonde girl, too!

4. Brenda of the RED August 13, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

Hey there Ms. Trash,

Can’t wait for the weather to cool. Maybe then you, Kenny and I (and maybe some others we might know) can get together for a visit. Looking good here on the world wide web…

Miss ya,

BZ

• biketrash August 13, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

Ms. Of-The,
      That sounds like a great idea. Maybe Wolfbyte, too?

• Brenda of the RED August 13, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

I would think we could talk him into a trip…

• FrostBite August 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

Let me know when. I am coming to TX in Oct for the RAT ride.

• biketrash August 14, 2010 at 8:17 pm #

Hiya, FrostBite!

YOU tell US when and where! It will be so much fun to see you — and Bugsplat?

• Brenda of the RED August 15, 2010 at 7:56 am #

Well now, isn’t that a lovely susprise!!! Just name your date and place Sir!!!

5. Jim August 16, 2010 at 6:22 am #

Hummmm……I keep seeing Linda as a bobblehead now!

• biketrash August 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Oh, yeah? Well. . . um. . . . Oh, yeah? Can’t think of a smart-a comeback. Doh!